Headlines

Jennifer Lawrence Claims She Was Punished For Standing Up To Director’s Sexual Harassment


Jennifer Lawrence
In the panel for The Hollywood Reporter that discussed sexual harassment in Hollywood, Jennifer Lawrence revealed that she was once punished for standing up to a director that was inappropriate with her. The panel also included Allison Janney, Mary J. Blige, Jessica Chastain, Emma Stone and Saoirse Ronan. Here are highlights:
Lawrence on standing up to a director: “Basically my job was threatened because the director said something fucked up to me and I said, ‘That’s sick, you can’t talk to me like that’. And then I was punished, and I got afraid that I wasn’t going to be hired again. I was called difficult and a nightmare. I think a lot of people aren’t coming forward because they’re afraid they’re not going to work again. You need to be able to say, ‘This is wrong’ and have somebody do something about it instead of saying, ‘Oh, it’s wrong? Well, you’re fired.’”
Lawrence on the how prevalent the issue is: “The big misconception, though, is that this is just in the entertainment industry. That doesn’t mean that there’s less sexual abuse going on anywhere else in the world, in any other place of work. But fortunately, we’re starting the conversation now.”
Chastain on changing the industry: “I hope the entertainment industry will never be the same. If you look at Louis B. Mayer and Fatty Arbuckle and Jack Warner, if you read Shirley Temple’s book, you find out what happened to her when she was a child — there is a history of abuse against women in our industry, and it’s never been addressed. I’m devastated by all the stories that have come out because it’s heartbreaking, but at the same time I feel hopeful because we’re not ignoring it anymore.”
Stone on people who haven’t come forward yet: “I’m someone who holds in a lot and gets really nervous to speak. We have to recognize that there are so many who haven’t told their stories yet, who aren’t comfortable to share. I feel so much compassion for those who are still getting up and going to work every day with their abuser or have had abuse in their past and who are not ready to say anything. And putting pressure on women to share it, you know, “If you’re not saying it now, then you’re complicit in this evil that’s occurring,” isn’t fair.”
Source: 411mania

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Fresh News ON . Designed by OddThemes