Sharon Horgan has said that her new BBC comedy series Motherland shows the "hell" of parenting.
The star and co-creator of the hit Channel 4 sitcom Catastrophe says that her new show works because it doesn't "sugar-coat" motherhood.
Speaking to Radio Times magazine, the Irish star said: "I'm amazed that the BBC let us do whatever we wanted; there's no sugar-coating it.
"There's no, 'Right, in this episode can you make sure you give your daughter her five-a-day'.
"It's just showing the sort of... hell of it."
Sharon Horgan's Motherland shows "the dirty side of parenting"
The 47-year-old writer and actress went on to say that she tried to make Motherland in America but it didn't work out.
"We actually did a really early version of it in the US for ABC but it didn't work because we were monitored so heavily and weren't able to show the dirty side of parenting", Horgan said.
The mother-of-two added that she isn't an "alpha mum" at home.
"To be honest, I'm surprised that I enjoy being a mum so much. I thought I was entirely non-maternal", she said.
"I remember telling my sister I was pregnant and her genuine shock - I mean, I was shocked as well. So I never aimed to be a perfect mum."
The six-part sitcom Motherland, starring Anna Maxwell Martin and Diane Morgan, starts on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer on November 7 following a successful pilot episode last year on BBC Two.
Source: rte